1) Program Admission Requirements
Academic / Non-Academic
- completion of a bachelor's degree
- Have teacher's certification
- permission of the Dean of Education
1. The program is designed to prepare teachers to work with children and adolescents in a variety of program areas, including early learning, inclusive education, and language and literacy. Educators can focus on one, two, or all three of these program areas.
2. If you wish to enroll in individual courses but are not in a Post-Baccalaureate Certificate or Diploma program, you will require a minimum third-year standing.
3. Applicants to the Interdisciplinary Studies in Contemporary Education Post-Baccalaureate Certificate or Diploma are required to complete and submit the Student Information Form
to begin the application process. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Institution Admission Requirements
Applicants also have to satisfy UBCO's institution admission requirements as listed below.
English Language Requirements
One of the following (minimum scores):
- four or more consecutive years of recognized, full-time education in English within Canada immediately prior to attending UBC
- four or more consecutive years of full-time education in English in a country other than Canada where English is the principal language. These four years must be immediately prior to attending UBC
- four or more years at an eligible international secondary school that uses English as the language of instruction but operates in a country where the primary language is not English. These four years must be immediately prior to attending UBC.
- A 70% grade or better on the provincial examination portion of BC English 12 or the equivalent
- A grade of 4 on Advanced Placement (AP) English Language and Composition or AP Literature and Composition
- A grade of 5 on International Baccalaureate (IB) English A (higher or standard level)
- CAEL score of 70 overall
- Campbridge English Qualifications score of 180
- CEL (UBC Certificate in English) score of 600
- IELTS score of 6.5 overall, with no part less than a 6.0
- PTE score of 65 overall, with a 60 in each of the sub-sections: Reading, Listening, Writing, and Speaking
- An internet based TOEFL score of 90 overallwith a:
- 22 in reading
- 22 in listening
- 21 in writing
- 21 in speaking
- Six credits of post-secondary first-year English studies at a recognized university in an English-speaking country (note: transcript showing course completion must be submitted by February 15)
- Graduation from a recognized degree program at an accredited university where English is the primary language of instruction in an English-speaking country
- Achieve a UBC Certificate in English Language or CEL by completing Level 600 of the UBC Continuing Studies English for Academic Purposes program on UBC’s Vancouver campus
- If you are proficient in English, but do not meet the above requirements, you can request a waiver for the English Language Admission Standard.
Verify with the institution directly
General Admission Requirements (All Students)
All students must meet UBC's English Language Admission Standard. If you have completed four or more consecutive years of recognized, full-time education in English in Canada immediately prior to attending UBC, you will have met this standard. It's also possible to meet this English language requirement in several other ways. For complete details check the English Language Admission Requirement page
BC Secondary School (or equivalent)
For details on BC Secondary School Graduation Admission, please check here.
For details on Yukon Secondary School Graduation Admission, please check here
For details on admission for Secondary School graduates from other provinces, please check here
(and select your Province in the drop-down menu)
BC Transfer Student
To apply to UBC as a transfer student, you are strongly encouraged to have completed 24 transferable credits – with at least a C average (60% where 50% is a passing grade), or a grade point of 2.0. Use the UBC transfer credit search tool
to see how courses from your institution transfer to UBC.
For details on university and college transfer to UBC, please refer to this page
Out-of-Province Transfer Student
To apply to UBC as a transfer student, you are strongly encouraged to have completed 24 transferable credits – with at least a C average (60% where 50% is a passing grade), or a grade point of 2.0. Use the UBC transfer credit search tool to see how courses from your institution transfer to UBC.
For details on university and college transfer to UBC, please refer to this page.
As a mature applicant, you must be out of full-time formal education for at least four years and satisfy the English language requirement and degree-specific requirements.
For details on Mature Student admission at UBC, please check here
For details on International Student admission at UBC, please check here
Other Student (including Special Consideration)
Details on admission requirements for Canadian Aboriginal Students are found here.
Details for studying at UBC as a Visiting Student are found here.