1) Program Admission Requirements
1. Students must complete a minimum of 5 approved Grade 12 courses, including all required courses for Faculty of Science as shown below.
2. Admission is based on an evaluation of ALL approved Grade 11 and 12 courses, with greater emphasis on List A courses than List B.
3. Students must also meet the General admission requirements
GRADE 11 – LIST B
*indicates required courses
*English 11, at least one of:
Creative Writing 11 or Langue et culture de la francophonie 11
Études litteraires et artistiques 11
Literary Studies 11 or Études du cinema et de la litterature francophones 11
New Media 11 or Medias et communications numerique 11
Spoken Language 11 or Communication orale 11
EFP Literary Studies & New Media 11
EFP Literary Studies & Spoken Language 11
EFP Literary Studies & Writing 11
*Language 11, at least one of:
American Sign Language 11 or 12
Beginner's Language 11
Language 12 courses
*Math 11, at least one of:
Foundations of Math 11,
*Social Studies 11, at least one of:
Explorations in Social Studies 11, Francophone History 11
or an approved Social Studies 12 course
Non-required, approved Grade 11 courses:
Art Studio 11, Choral Music 11 (includes Chamber 11, Concert Choir 11, Vocal Jazz 11), Composition & Production 11, Contemporary Music 11, Dance Choreography 11, Dance Company 11, Dance Conditioning 11, Dance Foundations 11, Dance Technique & Performance 11, Directing & Scriptwriting 11, Drama 11, Engineering 11, Film & Television 11, Graphic Arts 11, Instrumental Music 11 (includes Concert Band 11, Guitar 11, Jazz Band 11, Orchestra 11), Media Arts 11, Musical Theatre 11, Photography 11, Science for Citizens 11, Studio Arts 2D 11, Studio Arts 3D 11, Theatre Company 11, Theatre Production 11
GRADE 12 – LIST A
*indicates required courses
*English One of:
English Studies 12
English First Peoples 12
Français langue et culture 12
*At least two of:
Anatomy & Physiology 12
GRADE 12 – LIST B
20th Century World History 12
American Sign Language 12
Asian Studies 12
BC First Peoples 12
Comparative World Religions 12
Comparative Cultures 12
Computer Science 12
Contemporary Indigenous Studies 12
Creative Writing 12
Economic Theory 12
Environmental Science 12
Financial Accounting 12
Foundations of Mathematics 12
Genocide Studies 12
Human Geography 12
Law Studies 12
Literary Studies 12
New Media 12
Physical Geography 12
Political Studies 12
Social Justice 12
Spoken Language 12
Urban Studies 12
Note: Equivalent AP or IB courses may be used in place of the above courses.
1. Verify high school course requirements for admission into SFU Faculty of Science .
2. View the SFU Calendar for full academic program description.
3. View their FAQ.
2) Institution Admission Requirements
Applicants also have to satisfy SFU's institution admission requirements as listed below.
English Language Requirements
One of the following (minimum scores):
- Completion of the last three years of full time secondary education in English in Canada or another country where the principal language of instruction is English with a blended grade of 70% or a C in English 12, English Literature 12, English 12 First Peoples or their equivalents (an English 12 grade 75% or higher permits direct registration in writing intensive courses)
- Completion of the last three years of full time secondary education in English at a recognized international school in a country where the primary language of instruction is not English with a grade of 70% in senior level English
- Completion of IB English A1 or A2 (HL or SL) with a grade of 3
- A three unit transferable English (ENGL) course or certified writing intensive course with a minimum C- grade
- An IELTS overall band score of 6.5 with no part less than a 6.0
- A TOEFL iBT overall score of 88 or better with a minimum 20 in each of the four components (listening, speaking, writing, and reading)
Verify with the institution directly
General Admission Requirements (All Students)
Beyond program admission requirements, you should also be aware of the following general admission requirements for SFU. These requirements include:
BC Secondary School (or equivalent)
BC Secondary School graduates who wish to be considered for admission to SFU must meet both general requirements and program-specific requirements.
Admission requirements are available for BC Secondary School graduates, check the BC or YK page
Out-of-Province Secondary School graduates who wish to be considered for admission to SFU must meet both general requirements and program-specific requirements.
Admission requirements for out-of-province secondary school graduates are detailed at the SFU Admissions website .
BC Transfer Student
You can be considered for admission as a BC Transfer Student if you have completed between 24 to 60 credits of course work. SFU provides information for students transferring from BC colleges, other Canadian universities, and institutions of applied arts and technology. For complete details click on the Canadian College/University Transfer page.
Out-of-Province Transfer Student
You can be considered for admission as an Out-of-Province Transfer Student if you have completed between 24 to 60 credits of course work.
For complete details click on the College/University transfer page. You may then select the Canadian colleges or Canadian universities or Visiting student sub-tabs.
If you wish to transfer from an Institute of Technology or College of Applied Arts & Technology you will want to choose the Institute/Technology schools sub-tab.
You may be given consideration as a mature student if you are at least 23 years old, are a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident, and have attempted less than 24 units of transferable course work.
For complete details on mature student admission visit the Mature Student information page.
Other Student (including Special Consideration)
For information on other student admission categories, check Diverse Qualifications.
This category includes information on the following:
- Indigenous students
- Graduate Students
- Students with Disabilities
- Diverse Qualifications
- Mature Students
- Degree Holders
- Senior Citizen Applicants
- Adult Graduation Diploma
- English Bridge Program
- Early Entry
- Irregular Admission (Faculty of Education)
- Concurrent Studies
- Calculus Examination Certificate
- Independent Schools
How to Apply
For application advice to SFU please click here.