1) Program Admission Requirements
Academic (minimum grade needed in brackets)
1. BC Secondary School Graduation (Grade 12) or equivalent
- English 12 (C)
- English Studies 12 (C)
- English First Peoples 12 (C)
- English Diagnostic Test (EDT) with a score of ENGL 100-level placement
- Principles of Math 11 (C)
- Pre-Calculus 11 (pass)
- Foundations of Math 11 (C)
- Applications of Math 12 (pass)
- Foundations of Math 12 (pass)
- Principles of Math 12 (pass)
- Pre-Calculus 12 (pass)
- BMTH 044 (C)
- BMTH 048 (C)
- BMTH 054 (pass)
- MATH 096 (C)
- MATH 097 (C)
- BTEC 115 (B-)
1. If English is not your primary language, you can use one of the following ways to meet the English language requirements for admission:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) requirement = 560 paper-based or 83 internet-based
- English Language Assessment (ELA) requirement = 145
- International English Language Testing System (Academic IELTS) = 6.5 overall and no score less than 6
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) Assessment = 70
- Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic) = 56
- DET (Duolingo English Test) = 110 (note*: DET is accepted on a temporary basis until January 2021)
- Capilano University EAP 100 (B+) and EAP 101 = (B+)
- alternative equivalent
2. If you have completed 30 credits or a 30-credit tourism management, hospitality management, or related certificate (with at least 2.0 CGPA and meet program entry requirements), you can apply for direct entry into the second year of the Tourism Management Co-operative Education Diploma.
3. If you have completed 60 credits or a 60-credit tourism management, hospitality management, or related diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution, you can apply for direct entry into the third year of the Bachelor of Tourism Management (BTM) program. You must have at least a CGPA of 2.0 and meet the program requirements.
Note: if you were admitted into your home institution with at least 6.0 in IELTS (or equivalent) and have studied in English for the duration of the program, you are deemed to have met the English Language Requirement for the BTM program.
2) Institution Admission Requirements
Applicants also have to satisfy CapilanoU's institution admission requirements as listed below.
English Language Requirements
Students must meet one of the following:
- An English Language Assessment Test minimum score of:
- TOEFL - 83 (internet based), 560 (paper-based),
- ELA - 145
- IELTS - 6.5 overall with no score less than a 6
- CAEL - 70
- PTE - 56
- 6 credits of transferable post-secondary English
- English 12 or English 12 First Peoples with a C+ grade (or higher) and two years of high school in Canada
- Advanced Placement English Language/Composition or English Literature/Composition with a minimum score of 4
- International Baccalaureate English Language A higher level with a minimum score of 5
- Language Proficiency Index Level 4 with an essay score of 26
- Capilano University EAP 100 and EAP 101 with a minimum mark of B+ (77%) grade in each course
- At least four consecutive years of full time education in English in Canada or another English-speaking country
- At least four consecutive years of full time education at an English-speaking High School in a country where English is not the primary language
- Graduate from a recognized degree program at an accredited university at which English is the primary language of instruction in a country where English is the principle language.
Students who do not qualify under one of the above requirements may submit a request for a waiver of the English Language Requirement form to the attention of Admissions in the Registrar's Office.
Verify with the institution directly
General Admission Requirements (All Students)
BC Secondary School (or equivalent)
For full details on the admission requirements for these programs, please click here.
BC Transfer Student
Details on Transfer Credit are available here
Out-of-Province Transfer Student
Details on Transfer Credit are available here
The general admission requirements for International Students can be found here.
For complete details on applying to Capilano University as an international student, please click here.
Other Student (including Special Consideration)
High school students with superior academic records may apply for limited admission which will allow enrollment in one or two university transfer courses while still attending secondary school.
The application must be co-signed by the applicant's parent or legal guardian and must be accompanied by a letter of recommendation from the school principal or designate, and an official copy of the secondary school academic record. Inquiries should be directed to the Registrar's Office.
How to Apply
For all the details on applying to Capilano University, please click here