1) Program Admission Requirements
Students must meet SFU's general admission requirements
- English Language requirement: minimum 70% in Grade 12 level English.
- Quantitative and Analytical Skills requirement: minimum 60% or C in senior-level Math course or Pre-Calculus, or equivalents.
- For admission to the Faculty of Science, high school applicants must complete a minimum of 5 approved Grade 12 courses, including all required courses as shown below. Admission is based on an evaluation of ALL approved Grade 11 and 12 courses, with greater emphasis on List A courses than List B.
REQUIRED GRADE 11 COURSES – LIST B
- One Grade 11 English: English Language Arts 11 or any English First Peoples 11 courses
- One Grade 11 language or waiver (includes all grade 11 and/or 12 second language courses, including all Indigenous languages of Canada, and introductory Grade 11 language courses)
- One Grade 11 Math: Foundations of Math 11 or Pre-Calculus 11
- Chemistry 11
- Physics 11
- One Grade 11 Social Studies: Explorations in Social Studies 11, Francophone History 11, or an approved Social Studies 12 course
- Non-required approved Grade 11 courses: Any Arts Education 11 courses, and Engineering 11
REQUIRED GRADE 12 COURSES – LIST A
- One Grade 12 English: English Studies 12, English First Peoples 12, or Français langue et culture 12
- Pre-calculus 12
- Two Grade 12 courses from this list: Anatomy & Physiology 12, Calculus 12, Chemistry 12, or Physics 12
GRADE 12 – LIST B
20th Century World History 12, Accounting 12, American Sign Language 12, Asian Studies 12, BC First Peoples 12, Comparative World Religions 12, Comparative Cultures 12, Composition 12, Computer Science 12, Contemporary Indigenous Studies 12, Creative Writing 12, Economic Theory 12, Economics 12, Engineering 12, Entrepreneurship 12, Environmental Science 12, Financial Accounting 12, Foundations of Mathematics 12, French 12, Genocide Studies 12, Geology 12, Geometry 12, German 12, Human Geography 12, Italian 12, Japanese 12, Korean 12, Law Studies 12, Literary Studies 12, Mandarin 12, Mechatronics 12, New Media 12, Philosophy 12, Physical Geography 12, Political Studies 12, Punjabi 12, Russian 12, Social Justice 12, Spanish 12, Spoken Language 12, Statistics 12, Urban Studies 12
Note: Equivalent AP or IB courses may be used in place of the above courses.
- Verify course requirements for admission into the Faculty of Science on the SFU website.
See SFU Calendar for the full program description.
2) Institution Admission Requirements
Applicants also have to satisfy SFU's institution admission requirements as listed below.
English Language Requirements
One of the following (minimum scores):
- Completion of the last three (3) years of full time secondary school education in English in Canada with a grade of 70% or a "C" in English 12, English Literature 12, English 12 First Peoples or their equivalents
- Completion of the last three (3) years of full time secondary school education in English in a country in which English is the principle language of instruction, with a grade of 70% or a "C" in senior level English
- Completion of the last four (4) years of full-time secondary school education in English at a recognized international school in a country in which the principal language of instruction is not English, with a grade of 70% in senior level English
- Completion of IB Diploma Program including English A (HL/SL) or English Literature and Performance (SL) with a minimum grade of 3
- A three unit transferable English (ENGL) course or certified writing intensive course with a minimum C- grade
- An IELTS Academic overall band score of 6.5 with no part less than a 6.0
- A TOEFL iBT overall score of 88 or better with a minimum 20 in each of the four components (listening, speaking, writing, and reading)
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) with an overall score of 70, with no part less than 60
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) with an overall score of 65, and a minimum score of 60 in the Communicative Skills, including: Listening, Reading, Speaking, Writing.
Verify with the institution directly
General Admission Requirements (All Students)
In addition to program-specific admission requirements, you should also be aware of the following general admission requirements for SFU. These requirements include:
BC Secondary School (or equivalent)
BC Secondary School graduates who wish to be considered for admission to SFU must meet both general requirements and program-specific requirements.
Check admission requirements for BC Secondary School graduates at the BC or YK page
Out-of-Province Secondary School graduates who wish to be considered for admission to SFU must meet both general requirements and program-specific requirements.
Admission requirements for out-of-province secondary school graduates are detailed at the SFU Admissions website .
BC Transfer Student
You can be considered for admission as a BC Transfer Student if you have completed between 24 to 60 credits of course work. SFU provides information for students transferring from BC colleges, other Canadian universities, and institutions of applied arts and technology. For complete details, please click on the Transfer Credit page.
Out-of-Province Transfer Student
You can be considered for admission as an Out-of-Province Transfer Student if you have completed between 24 to 60 credits of course work.
For complete details, please click on the Transfer Credit page. You may then select the Canadian colleges or Canadian universities or Visiting student sub-tabs.
You may be given consideration as a mature student if you are at least 23 years old, are a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident, and have attempted less than 24 units of transferable course work.
For complete details on mature student admission, please visit the Mature Student information page.
Other Student (including Special Consideration)
For information on other student admission categories, please check Diverse Qualifications.
This category includes information on the following:
- Indigenous students
- Graduate Students
- Students with Disabilities
- Diverse Qualifications
- Mature Students
- Degree Holders
- Senior Citizen Applicants
- Adult Graduation Diploma
- English Bridge Program
- Early Entry
- Irregular Admission (Faculty of Education)
- Concurrent Studies
- Calculus Examination Certificate
- Independent Schools
How to Apply
For application advice to SFU please click here.