My credit card payment won't go through, was declined, or was charged without submitting my application. What do I do?
Possible reasons why your payment may not go through:
- You have used a credit card type that is not accepted by the institution. Institutions list the cards they accept on the Review page and the Payment page.
- All accept Visa and MasterCard, but very few accept Visa Debit, Mastercard Debit, or American Express.
- Some users using credit cards from RuPay may receive a decline message. Contact the card provider directly to resolve this issue.
- If you do not have an accepted credit card, you may be able to use a prepaid credit card; please ensure your prepaid card has an expiration date, and that the pre-paid card will cover the application fee AND any activation fees on the gift card (for example, some cards have a $6.95 activation fee on a $50 gift card, leaving only $43.05 available for your use).
- You cannot use more than one card.
- The billing address you entered does not match the address associated with the credit card you are using.
Ensure the billing address you type in matches what your financial institution has on file; please refer to your credit card statement.
- Please remove any extra characters including hyphens (-).
- Add the street address only, not city + province/state.
- You may need to remove an apartment number from the listing (this is rare but has occurred in the past).
- Canadian postal codes may need to be all capitalized or the space between characters added/removed (this varies depending on the bank).
- You are using a non-Canadian card that functions as both a credit card and debit card. If so, make sure it is being processed as a credit card when paying your application fee.
- The card payment has been declined for financial or security reasons. Please contact your bank or credit card provider.
- Technical issues.
- Try clearing your web browser's cache, or use an alternate browser or device.
- Avoid using browser auto-fill tools.
- Do not use Internet Explorer. It is no longer supported and may cause errors. Recommended browsers include Chrome, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge. We are currently researching intermittent issues with Safari.
- Other payment problems may occur because of computer firewall settings or a slow Internet connection. This can often be solved by submitting payment from a computer on a different network. For example, if you are applying from a computer at a public institution or using mobile data or WiFi, try using a home computer.