How do I apply for and receive money from Student Aid?

Apply for Student Aid at Create an account to apply for and monitor the status of your application. See StudentAidBC's How to Apply for a Loan at
• You must be a Canadian citizen or have a current Canadian Permanent Resident card with a valid IMM1000, and have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).  
• You must be enrolled in full-time study in an eligible program at a designated institution. 
• All institutions listed on EducationPlannerBC offer Student Aid. Full-time study means you are enrolled in at least 60% of a full course load, or 40% for students with disabilities, for at least 12 consecutive weeks. This is usually three, 3-credit courses per semester, with some exceptions.
• StudentAidBC provides more details on eligibility at
The amount of funding provided by StudentAidBC is based on financial need.
Educational Costs - Student's Available Resources = Financial Need
• Apply early for Student Aid. Most institutions recommend you apply 6 to 10 weeks before you plan to start your courses, or immediately after you have been accepted/admitted to the institution (you don't need to be enrolled in specific classes yet).
• You (and the institution) will not receive money until the institution can confirm to Student Aid that you are enrolled in full-time studies.  Tuition amounts are sometimes forwarded directly to the school or may be forwarded directly to the bank account you have specified.
• If you need additional funding after you have started your program, see the Financial Advisor on your campus. They will help to find the best solution available.

After you submit your application, it will be assessed by StudentAidBC. You will receive a notification of assessment that tells you what you have been approved for, including:
• The type of funding (loan, grant, or bursary)
• The amount of money
• When you are eligible to receive your money
• The contract indicating that you understand that you must repay your student loans. Sign the agreement and return it along with all the required supporting documentation to the National Student Loan Service Centre.

Follow the instructions from the NSLSC and StudentAidBC to receive your funding.
For more information on Student Aid, review our Financial Aid section or check out the StudentAidBC website directly.

There's more questions to be found in these categories: